Compare the Nikon D40 to the Canon Rebel EOS 400D XTi
The Nikon D40s main rival is the Canon Rebel EOS 400D XTi.
While it is a difficult comparision and unfortunately can be subjective, reviews show the the D40 has a very slight edge over the Canon 400D XTi. In the Nikon’s favor are :
- higher comfort
- better viewfinder
- it is also more user friendly
While it is close and the Nikon has a very slight edge, many reviews show that the Canon beats the Nikon in several key technical aspects, including :
- a more sophisticated 9-point Auto Focus system
- direct access to White Balance, ISO, AF and metering settings
- the Canon has slightly quicker 3fps continuous shooting when compared to the Nikon
- it comes with Canon’s Digital Photo Professional software
The biggest difference between the two is resolution. The Nikon D40 has 6 Megapixels compared to the 400D XTi’s 10 Megapixels. While many reviews show this doesn’t make a huge difference, the fact is getting four extra Megapixels for only a little higher price may be hard to resist. Nikon does now have a 10 Megapixel version of the D40.